View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
RuthiesRetreat3

I know exactly how you feel. I once made a KING_SIZED quilt for a dear friend of mine for her and her husband. It was actually large enough to use as a bedspread on their Califonia King(larger than a regular king) and although it was machine pieced, it was all hand quilted. I was just sick when I went over one day and saw they were using it as a couch cover in the room where the little kids played and romped around.

It was very hard for me to accept that it was hers, no longer mine, and if that was how she valued something so lovingly hand made, it was still hers to toss aside if that's what she wanted to do with it. It really hurt my feelings that she thought so little of it and the time/effort factor; I felt like she thought so little of me that she didn't care how I felt.

It took me a few years to realize that she, and many people, who have had things handed to them or been able to purchase anything they wanted and had not been graced with heirloom treasures, just don't realize what they have when they have things like this given to them. She was a bit self-centered but mostly just lived her life with rose-colored glasses on and never thought much about the feelings of others.

So, any future gift for her or her family was purchased, not hand made.