View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Okiegirl

Default Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize?

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and actually new to quilting. I've sewn for a long time, but have never tackled a quilt before. I've been looking for a kingsize bedspread (not comforter) for a long time, but bedspreads are hard to find anymore.
I found this pattern - http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html
on how to do a denim quilt - all machine sewn, no batting. This sounds pretty easy for my first attempt.

For those of you who do quilting a lot, does a Kingsize BEDSPREAD (meaning all the way to the floor) sound too heavy, or to adventurous for a first-time quilter? I'm guessing I can sew strips of these (like two circles wide, and the length of the quilt) in the pattern, then sew the strips together to the width I desire so I can get it in my machine. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions, or hints would be appreciated. I know it will be a long process, but I love the look of this. I just have to find enough old jeans! I have plenty of scraps to be the inside material. Or, I've also thought of making the inside all one material. Not sure yet. I like the colorful, old fashioned, quilt look too.

I'm mostly worried about the weight - and getting it sewn in my machine. I have a good machine, it's just wrangling this much material once it starts getting constructed.

Thanks for the advice of all of you experienced quilters!