View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
. . . I use 1/4" painters tape and place it right next to the seam and quilt right next to the tape. I am then far enough away from where I pressed my seam allowances and I have nice straight lines of quilting that is evenly spaced away from the seam.

You can also measure with your cutting ruler and draw a chalk line or use a sliver of white soap on your dark colors.

. . . I use a lap hoop so I can turn the quilt in the direction that is easiest for me. . . .

What size needle are you using? The smaller the needle (which means a higher number, a size 11 is much smaller than a size 8 with needles), the smaller the stitches but it takes practice and experience to feel comfortable with size 10 or smaller.

Are you using any kind of hoop or frame? How tight is the quilt in it? You want it kind of loose so the fabric has give when you get into the rocking motion of the needle.
I edited Feline Fanatic's comments

I think your project would look better - even with uneven stitches - if you used the 1/4 inch masking/painting tape to guide your stitching lines. I had better luck using short lengths of tape than trying to apply a long strip. Also, the tape can be used several times. Or mark them lightly with another method.

I don't like the disappearing ink ones - I think they do strange things to the fabrics years later. Maybe they've improved recently.

If you are using a hoop or frame - the fabric has to bend/sag at least an inch in a small hoop - more in a larger hoop. At one time, I thought it was supposed to be tight as a drum. NOT!