View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Dollyo

These are not my numbers (I barely have time to make what I need, let alone do it for someone else), but they are gathered from 3 different sources. So, the I is not me, but they will give you an idea of what others charge. There are 3 different explanations on how to charge for a quilt or just quilting.
Re: How to charge for labor on quilts

#1 Option - To make a quilt top for a customer, I charge between $10 and $16 a block to piece it, depending on the complexity of the pattern. Quilting is between $0.01 and $0.03 per square inch, also depending on the motif, and binding is $1.50 a running foot. If I were making the entire quilt start to finish, I might knock off 15-20%. All of these prices do not include the cost of materials either, I ask that my customers provide everything (except for thread- I charge a thread fee and make sure I get good quality thread to work with.) Hope this helps.

#2 Option - First, the customer should pay for supplies up front...a good deposit to cover the cost of all materials...what if she decides she can't get the quilt. You will be out the supply costs.
Here is how I charge for a full quilt order (I'll use Queen size).
I first figure the finished size...yep, Queen size is not exact. It depends on block size, borders wanted...etc...gonna be a difference between 1 to 4 inches. I'll use a standard 90x90" quilt.
Since I charge for quilting by the sq inch...my rate is 0.015 (1-1/2 cents per inch for simple meander/panto).
90x90= 8,100
8100 x .015= 121.50 for the simple quilting alone.
Now for binding by machine, I charge .20 per linear inch.
90"x4= 360 inches
360 x .20 = 72.00 to bind by machine (I charge .30 per inch if hand sewn, so add 36.00 if hand sewing the binding down).
To figure yardage on the quilt (always add 10% for oops! control)
10 yards for backing (you have to have about 8" extra in width and length for the backing. so 45 x 2= 90...and 90" = 2.5 yards. You have to add for the 8" extra for the length. so 3 yards to be sure x 3= 9 yards + 10% in case you have to match a pattern or make an oops!. That is where the extra yard comes in.
If you use a 108" wide backing...make sure to get 3 yards to 3.5 yards...you need to be able to square it up & you can lose almost 18" squaring it sometimes.
I usually use the same estimate for the quilt front (since there will be seam allowances and waste.
So, let's say 20 yards total (to make it easy to figure)x 10.00 per yard...and batting...so 225.00 in supplies (I don't figure in the thread cost. I consider that minimal...but $5.00 would probably cover the cost of thread to make the quilt). **Batting is for Warm & White cotton/poly blend.
Your time. Wow...If I were to include my time...I'd be rich!
I usually charge 150.00 to assemble the project...unless it's really complicated (which I usually don't take).
So, 225.00 in supplies
150.00 to assemble
122.00 for simple meander quilting
72.00 to bind by machine
this comes to 569.00 for the completed quilt.
If the customer provides their own materials (scary, cause it's rarely enough)..I add 50.00.
If it's a complicated design, I double the Assembly to 300, and if they want semi custom (feathers, Stitch in the Ditch, etc.) I double the quilting charge also.
I normally charge and extra $15 to seam the back. I also charge $15 to machine sew on binding if they have prepared it. If not prepared and I have to prepare and machine sew it is $25.Hand sewing the binding to finish off quilt is charged by the inch.

#3 Option - I charge .01 per square inch for pantographs and just plain meandering; $.03 per square inch for custom quilting and ruler work; borders are an extra $35. per quilt. My thread charge is $.75 per bobbin ( # of bobbins used times 2 to get the total for top and bottom threads).