Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, wow that is a what . . . a 1960"s machine with a 1960's treadle cabinet? How interesting! That straight leg, very simple treadle cabinet was one of the last - I think - that Singer made! I wonder if that machine was made for an Amish person or someone who lived very very frugally? Geeze, by the time that machine was made there were not many people who would have used a treadle! I know you can still buy treadles today - mostly to go to the Amish and 3rd world countries - I would love to know that machine's history! What a find!!!!

Nancy
I think this machine and cabinet made its way from South America to the States. The guy stated that it was his wife Grandmother's machine. After she passed away the machine sat untouched in their bedroom since neither of them sew. Of course I had to open my big mouth and make a comment when he told me that. I think I said something to the fact that the Grandmother had been sharing the bedroom with you guys for long enough and that I'm willing to rescue all of you, Grandmother included.

I did some googling on Singer 224, only to find that there aren't to many photos or posts on these machines. Some are calling it a Fashion Mate. I did find out that Bernie (who you might have chatted to a Cathy's during the TOGA) has a Singer 223 (doesn't have the cams). Bernie states in his album that his machine is from Japan and mentions the company that made the machine for Singer. Mine has the JA8 stamp on the bed which means it is from Japan.

Cathy or Pat or anyone else, What decade does this machine come from? I was thinking somewhere around 1950s.

Goosh, I'm up awfully early...the birds are still chatting away...it is a very nice peaceful sound.