View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I met a woman who sells quilts on etsy and she says the only quilts that sell are baby quilts. I went to her site and saw her baby quilts. They are $30 and they are just 2 pieces of fabric. One for the front and one for the back. Oops, I forgot about the binding. But that is all she does to it. And I've noticed that the same baby quilts are there month after month. I don't think people understand what goes into making a quilt and the cost of fabric and thread. I had a gal make me a purse and I paid $69 for all the supplies and then gave her $100 for the purse. She is excellent at purse making. I couldn't resist. I could never make one as nice as she made this. It is probably worth more than I paid her. But she said people have asked her to make her purses for $25 total. You can't buy a purse for $25 that's decent. My hairdresser wants me to give her a quilt and I go see her Tuesday and I'm really having a hard time deciding on what to do. She charges me $95 to do my hair. I have a wall hanging that costs more than that. I can't say I'll trade her. She's young and doesn't understand. It's eating at me. I think I will show up empty handed and if she asks, I'll tell her they cost a few hundred dollars. Maybe then she will be okay and understand. I've only been to her once. See, people do think it's like making an afghan (no offense to people who crochet). They don't understand how long and how much thought and work goes into making one.