Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
I decided to spend some time on one of my early purchasing mistakes. It is a General Electric Model 5 Sewhandy machine with the paint peeling off. I am trying to figure out how to thread to see how it sews. Does anyone have a manual they can send a picture of the threading diagram?

The mistake was I paid too much for the condition. I learned about the importance of asking questions and for more photos. If it sews nicely it may become a repaint candidate.

Attached are the before and after photos.
You need to talk to Glenn about the finish - I'm betting his tutorial would be some help. Is that the stitch length on the bottom? I've never seen one there, but it makes sense. Is that motor in a cut out? Can you show pics of the back and the bottom? Wow that one is cool! Does it turn easy? Is it heavy? I would have made the mistake of buying it too!!!
To thread it just go across the top from the spool to the first thread guide, down through the tension, up through the take up lever and back down through the thread guides and to the needle. It should make a letter N. We can probably tell what way the needle goes in if you show the bobbin area with and with out the bobbin in the shuttle. Does the bobbin drop in or go in a bobbin case? Is it 3/4 size? Someone on here probably has one of those.