Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Went back and reread. Your treadle irons say Decorah Posten. So, is this in relationship to the newspaper? You must have one a the few of these treadles that are left with this name. This makes for such an interesting MUT. If it were mine, I know that I would make a cover or mini quilt that had some newspaper motif. Way cool!!
Monica, yes, it's a treadle base left from the late 1800's when the newspaper sold treadle machines on installment payments to subscribers. It's a really sturdy treadle...very heavy. Someone at some time cleaned it up and repainted it with flat black metal paint, and I really like it that way.

The MUT is coming right along. We actually got the New Glenwood into it, belted up (we used your aquarium tubing idea for a belt, and I like it!) oiled up, and running pretty well. Had to really soak her in oil, as she was screeching and screaming like a stuck cat when we first turned her!! LOL Poor old girl. But by this a.m. she was turning really quiet, and I was actually able to wind a bobbin on her. The Decorah Posten treadle is very heavy, but it treadles real smooth. We also oiled it all up last night. John will be putting up some more of the pics later today.

Thanks for the birthday wishes...it was on the 13th, and our anniversary is on the 14th, and John's birthday is July 13. So we have fun "combining" annibirthday presents!! :-)