Thread: DNP: Time Warp
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Kate_W

Default DNP: Time Warp

This lap quilt is a Disappearing Nine-Patch (6 squares wide by 8 squares long).

In the fall of 2011, my aunt gave me 51 nine-patch quilt squares she found in her basement (dry, no smell, great condition). The fabric is likely from the 1930’s or ‘40’s. Some thoughts on the raw squares:

• 51 is an odd number but not a prime number. A quilt 3 squares wide by 17 squares long would have used all the squares. I don’t know what you’d do with quilt that long and thin.
• The center square of all 51 squares was orange polka-dot. I tried to connect the squares as constructed but I couldn’t make heads or tails of a pattern …
• So, I found instructions and pictures to create a disappearing nine-patch from nine-patch squares. I sliced, diced, and reconstructed. Hence, what it is.
• I was going to bind the quilt with the backing fabric but light blue binding wasn’t grabbing me. Brown binding! Ahh. Serenity.

The working title of the quilt was “What Louise Found in Her Basement … “. I settled on “Time Warp” due to the elapsed time between someone starting the quilt and the quilt completed.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails kris-kidd-time-warp-005-copy.jpg   kris-kidd-time-warp-010.jpg