View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM
LynnVT

Since I'm always watching my pennies, now that I've retired, I sometimes only buy a half yard each of a coordinated group just to have it. Larger amounts I usually only buy if I know what I'm going to do with it. All of what people are saying is good advice, though. I buy at a good shop mostly, since my favorite one is only a mile and a half from my house, so I can go in and browse and check out the sale tables whenever I want. There are three other good shops within ten miles, so I'm really spoiled that way. I don't feel compelled to stock up a lot. One thing I've found is that fabric I bought more than five years ago sometimes does go "out of fashion", so you hesitate to use it for an important project. Also, my taste changes over time. One LQS sells a big bag of "scraps" for maybe $10 or $15 and I've found they often have more than one yard pieces included with a bunch of 2.5" strips, or cut charms, and lots more. Value way more than the cost. The surprise element made me try new things when bought one of them. Since you are mtgirl - are you near Kalispell MT? There is a nice shop there - Quilt Gallery, and another in Missoula, I hear. As for online, I don't do that much, because I like to feel the fabric and know exactly what I'm getting. Have done it if I know a certain line. Rarely get something cheap from WalMart or JoAnn's, usually just to test a new technique, or for a workshop where I don't know what the result will be. And since I really want my LQSs to succeed, and they give me lots of personal support, I use them whenever I can.