View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
JudyTheSewer

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I make alot of quilts that I like to use about 20 colors so for me 1 yard to 1/2 yards suits this purpose. But for a large scale print that screams border .. its 3 yards. If its just destined to be a great go to fabric for background say a white on white or cream on cream ... and it at a great price ... I go for at least 6- 7 yards , maybe the whole bolt ( if at a can't be beat price). For my style you can never have enough white on white or cream on cream on hand for me that like not having flour or sugar on hand.
So much depends on the styles of quilts that are your preference.
I also prefer many fabrics in a quilt. I gravitate towards inticate designs (mariner's compass is one of my favorites). I usually piece my backs also. For the backs I often use a Bricks pattern or a Burgoyne Surround that has dozens of different "reds" or "blues", etc.. I am trying to not re-use the same fabric in my Dear Jane quilt. So, like Lori, I find that I rarely want/need more than a yard of a fabric unless it is for a binding or border. Lori is right that so much depends on the styles of quilts that are your preference.