Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Julie R

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
We too plot out the local quilt shops when we are traveling somewhere. I usually only buy if it is a fabric that my favorite LQS doesn't have. When we were in Tennessee earlier this year, we found several LQS to go to. I always buy at least a FQ or 2 in each shop. There was one shop in particular that we spent an extended amount of time in. It was a very small shop but had a wonderful selection of fabrics. The owner and her husband (who was the fabric cutter by the way) were so pleasant that we felt like we had known them forever. I found several fabrics to purchase and she had a shop sample of a quilt she had made that I fell in love with. She let me take pictures of the quilt and helped me find all the fabrics, and even gave me a little discount. She even gave me the pattern for FREE!

The beginning of this month, we took a trip to Michigan to go camping and see family. We found a few LQS and checked them out. At one of the shops, again a small one, the owner was so friendly and talkative that I did purchase several fabrics from her and spent a couple hours browsing and chatting. The 2nd shop we went to, even smaller than the first, had 3 people standing at their counter and didn't even acknowledge us until I needed something cut. I bought a yard of fabric and 2 FQs there.

Sometimes, when I'm on vacation, I just don't feel like LQS shopping. It happens but rest assured the feeling always passes!

Was the store in TN by chance "Mountain Stitches by Susan" in Gatlinburg? Love that place. My mom and I visit it every year on our annual pilgrimage to Mountain Quiltfest. I know her husband cuts and folds fat quarters for her. She has a beautiful selection.