View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
MCH

I noticed that someone noted they had given up their land line phone as everyone in the family has a cell phone, I believe.

I'd like to suggest that it's a good idea to have at least a land line phone in the house for emergencies. When a call arrives at a 911 dispatcher's terminal, most places now have phone numbers associated with an address. Even rural 911 communications have the addressing scheme / database associated with land line telephone numbers. You call from home, they see your address. You call from work, they see the address.

If you call 911 from your cell phone, they have no clue where you are, and most likely, you will have no idea where they are. When you call 911 from a land line, you have a sense that you're talking to someone "local".

Cell phone emergency calls, in many areas, get "routed" to various emergency communication centers. The dispatcher has no idea where you are, beyond perhaps being able to locate the nearest cell tower to you. That's not good enough. They're going to have to ask you more questions relative to your location...then route you to the appropriate first responders.

My husband and I both have cell phones that are on 24x7, but we still have our land line. When I fell four years ago and couldn't get up, my husband grabbed the land line phone to call 911.

Cell phones are great and mine is either in my pocket or on my night stand, and I'm delighted to have it so available, but land lines do serve a purpose. You can always just get the "basic, minimal service plan" and use the cell phone for all other calls, including long distance.

Mobile is great, but re-consider getting rid of the land line.

Ring! Ring! Ring! :lol: