Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM
quiltingsavta

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar View Post
I have been knocking off some of those embarrassingly small yet STILL UNFINISHED projects in my stacks lately.
Photo 1: Quilt-As-You-Go 1of2 - this was a workshop project from five years ago (which is not that old in UFO years, actually), following Sharon Pederson's Reversible/quilt-as-you-go technique. If I'd understood the design elements better, I would have chosen blue sashing in the center.
Photo 2: Quilte-As-You-Go 2of2 - the reverse side of the QAYG workshop project - I would have chosen blue sashing as well for this side. I can't recommend learning this technique enough - I'll be able to completely finish a lot more quilts in only a little more time than it takes to just piece the top.
Photo 3: Yellow Spools - I made this using the Perfect Spools Marking Template, the 3" block size, using 2 1/2" squares from my precut stash. The border is folk art hand-stitched using variegated pearl cotton, which picks up all the other shades or yellow and light orange in the spool centers.
Photo 4: Ugly Batik Block Challenge - Now, I love batiks, but some of them are bug-ugly (with my profound apologies to bugs everywhere). The block assigned all of us was "any pieced block you want with borders on two touching sides. My assigned fabric I'd seen in a local shop and actually commented to my friend, "What the heck would you ever use THAT for?!?!?" And as Providence would have it, I soon found out. Because I had to. The original batik was turquoises and purples ... ruined by swipes and smears of baby-poo-yellow (with my profound apologies to babies everywhere). I managed to find a calm mottled batik whose color is somewhere around red adobe in my stash and just started sewing away. The end result was purchased by a visitor to my home who arrived just after I finished putting on the binding (of the adobe batik). The photo shows the reds more "red" than they are in person - it's actually a lot softer.
I loved your commentary. You are too funny. I think these are just wonderful, I never made a QAYG before. I may try it now. Looks great.