Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 AM
pineneedles4

I purchased the Tin Lizzie sit down model last August. I love the machine! The only problem I had in the beginning was thread breakage but it was the cheap thread I was using. I purchased a few spools of the quilting thread sold by Connecting Thread and it was perfect so I ordered another 50 spools. I quilted an entire quilt without a single thread breakage once the tread arrived. I am currently quilting a quilt-as-you-go using batiks for the front and back and it's been perfect! I had problems with one donation lap quilt but realized when I changed machines that it was the cheap batting I had purchased, not the machine. I like the fact that when I have the space I can buy a conversion kit and the long rail frame to convert the machine from sit down to long rails. It seems to be a low-maintenance machine, never had to adjust the tension or anything. I have only quilted five quilts on it so far, but the difference from trying to quilt on my Bernina home machine to this made all the difference in the world! The first quilt I quilted was an oversized lap quilt and I was able to quilt the entire quilt in a single day. I started out using gardening gloves (with the little dots to help grip the fabric) but then I ordered a set of Martelli Grippers and I love these more than the gloves. These are round frames with knobs that you use to grip and move the fabric while quilting. My set came with two sizes of hoops and I can quilt longer without hand or arm fatigue.