Thread: car seat cover
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
tate_elliott

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
Cheaper to have it re-done by professionals.
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? My wife's 20 year old Honda had the upholstery and foam worn away from the driver's side car seat where she rubs against it when getting in. (And after only 20 years!) I bought a pattern from McCalls (I think) and used it as a guide to make a new one out of denim.

The cover for the seatback is a narrow bag with a tongue or tab that continues from the front, through the gap between the seatback and seatbottom, and attaches to the back of the seatback. I just made two large buttonholes in the tongue and put large buttons (what else?) on the back of the seatback. The seatbottom is another bag, with a drawstring, pulled tight in the back, or (if you can) laced underneath the seat. I also sewed a couple of layers of batting inside the seatback cover, where the worn foam was.

I'll post a photo and, yes, it doesn't look the greatest. But did I mention that it is a TWENTY year old Honda? I should have pulled the wrinkles out of the seat for the photo.

I wish I had thought to make the part of the cover you sit on out of a quilt pattern. My wife would have loved that.

Tate

P.S. The striped box with a hole in it was another handmade present to my wife. It's a cupholder - twenty years ago they didn't have those in cars. And the ones that clip to the window don't work in her car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344381[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hondacarseata.jpg  

Last edited by tate_elliott; 06-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.