View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Marcia_PA

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
It looks sharp. What I noticed is your wonderful variation of print size. I think that is one of the keys to why this looks so exceptionally good. While I am in teacher mode, (had a class today), you construction looks flawless. It all looks so straight, so square.

Do try FMQ. You can hide your first steps on a very fussy cloth. Practice on small left over pieces of batting and fabric that you don't like. I think cotton batting is the easiest to work with for a beginner. My first feathers I hid in a patch where they wouldn't show. Now I look at them and think they looked OK even pretty good. But I remember it being so scary even though I knew they wouldn't show up. I have a lot of fun with free motion and I wish that for everyone.
Thank you for the compliments and the encouragement to try FMQ, Deb. I noticed many quilts and table runners shown on the board used large print borders and I picked up on that I like the look. Also, I am learning that less is more--using fewer different fabrics makes a project look more 'pulled together' and professional looking, if you know what I mean.