View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 AM
pjnesler

Originally Posted by bluteddi View Post
Like most things.. there are good companies and bad companies... I know a few ppl that had policies that paid off with out difficult after a set amt of time with out of pocket payments....... They tend to be limited time or $ amt .

good luck in ur quest
While my father was alive he purchased a policy for he and mom. He passed away from cancer - didn't use the policy. A few years later, mom ended up purchasing a policy from a different company. Paid premiums for both policies - a couple years later we found out she had Alzheimers. She lived with me for a bit over 2 years, I continued to work full time, but one of the policies paid for her to go to the resthome during the day - sort of an adult day care situation so she was able to be involved with art groups, music, and outings the beauty shop at the facility, meals etc. Since I needed to leave for work early each day, A home health aid would get her breakfast and visit with her until the bus came to pick her up at my home ( 1.5 hrs per day )to take her to the nursing home. I would pick her up at the nursing home when I was done with work, and we enjoyed each others company evenings and weekends.
When the Senior Living Campus was completed near my sister ( Assisted Living ) mom moved
there until she passed on last spring - she lived there 8 years. Due to Dads planning, and moms purchase of the additional policy, most of her day program while she stayed with me was covered by the insurance. When she moved to assisted living, between the 2 plans her expenses were all covered. Each plan had different points that needed to be scrutinized so we got the benefits from each to work best for mom, and we we were very satisfied for the majority of her care. ONE very difficult time came when the Assisted Living center wanted to kick her out because they added on to their care offerings to include a nursing home wing. With her declining health, they wanted to move her to that section, at that point, her policies would not pay. She needed to stay in assisted living for them to pay. My sister fought the EVICTION NOTICE the facillity SENT TO MOM - even needed the assistance of a lawyer to draft a letter...long story short - mom stayed put, and passed without further conflict. To sum it up, there is a lot to think about. I was lucky the town I lived in offered the support network it did so mom could stay with me.