View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
luvstoquilt

My mother has a long term policy with a huge ins company (Equitible)..she does get some money but it has been a fight all along the way. She lives in assisted living and is unable to prepare meals, walk without a walker, shower alone. She has a problem getting up from a chair, etc. She is not safe living in my home because she gets up at night and falls. She also forgets and tries to cook and she wanders away. The insurance company has put her through terrible tests to see if they believe this 94 year old woman is truly eligible! At one point, after she was receiving compensation they decided she was so improved she no longer needed the assistance. The nurse said she just needed therapy and she would be walking without assistance in no time! The last time she was tested she was so upset she had to have chest compressions to be waked up. The test was done by an RN that came with her test..it was 138 pages long and it was brutal. She made mom get up and walk across the room and back without her walker...this was after mom had just gone to the bathroom. I told the nurse I thought she was unkind to make her walk again..didn't she just see her walk? The exam lasted about 2 1/2 hours and upset my mother terribly. She spent the rest of the day in bed and was unable to be waked up the next morning. I would not give you a nickel for that policy..it is way to hard to collect. I need to add my parents had that policy for 35 years. My dad died of a sudden heart attack 20 years ago. I have saved my money so if I need that help I can pay for it (I hope!) but I have no desire to purchase that type of insurance. My hope is I do not live to be in my 90's and I hope I never have to be a burden to my children.