View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
fmd36

My DH looked into this ins. and decided he would rather invest our $'s and use that for health care. He also decided NOT to buy life insurance. In May he had a stroke, went to the local hosp., then to rehab - because he needs phys. theraphy - and now is in a local -in town extended health care facility. We have a HMO that is paying for 100 days for care. He will be released - we hope -in July. No Medicare or Medicaide. If he comes home will private pay for any nursing or theraphy he needs. If he stays in the facility the HMO will no longer cover him and the bill is $9,100/month. We have an elder-law attorney that is trying to protect our assets- he says we/I will probably have to "spend down" and live on $2,500/mo. The house/asset is protected but all the savings and investments are
possibly be up for grabs. In hindsight would the ins. have been better? I don't know. Family is split between the west coast and DD is moving to FL. WE live in NH. This is going to be interesting ...we will have to take this a day at a time.not spend any $ we don't have. Big changes.