Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Charlee

I'm sorry Nanna-Up_North, I just noticed your questions in the Machine Photos thread! I wasn't ignoring you, honest!

For the Köhler, I wasn't able to follow Glenn's tutorials. The machine and cabinet both were coated with something other than shellac or varnish. Some kind of water based Poly is what Glenn figured. So the machine got cleaned, painted the dings and chips, and coated with TR3 car polish. It still needs some work on it, and when I have time, I will put more coats on it.
The cabinet got a complete strip down except for the door, which the spousal unit was very protective of and insisted that I leave alone. (I didn't, but more on that in just a line or two) I had to glue on the strip on the base of the cabinet that the lid attached to, as it had broken off from someone opening the lid and not supporting it. I also had to glue the legs on the front, which are 3 pieces of wood, back together. Those got the "glue on the business card" run between the pieces of wood and then clamped for 24 hours. I completely stripped the cabinet using a chemical stripper, and sanded it down. I stained it with Black Walnut stain, and then used shellac to finish it. I still haven't waxed it yet.

Thanks for asking, and I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner!