View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
My mother used to make Spaetzles (sp?) and Lentils. This has been one of our families favorites also. I make the lentils pretty much according to the bag's directions..maybe more onions sometimes garlic and have also added tomatoes. The spaezles are easy but take a while. We made them for a lot of people usually - 5-6 I guess. It a BIG bowl mix flour (about 6-8 cups) add 4-5 eggs, and milk to make a thick heavy batter. Batter will be very hard to stir.

We had a spaetzle board that was wooden with the end taperd down to the edge. Put a glob of batter on the board (or on the back of a smooth plate) and take a dinner knife and cut off small pieces into boiling water. They cook fast...as soon as they float take out of water with a slotted spoon and put on plate. Note..the more eggs you use the heavier they are, so for lighter ones use less egg and a little more milk.

This recipe cost nearly nothing and feeds a lot. We would put the spaetzles on our dinner plate and cover with lentils...MMMMMMMMMM good. ps...they also are very good for constipation...lol
Is that kind of like a quick noodle? So, you could put a sauce over it?