Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM
JuneBillie
Power Poster

Default Ideas: To Help Quilter's With Arthritis,Muscle,Nerve,et. Disorders?

While reading on another thread of things quilter's found useful, I noticed there are others like myself that love quilting, but who deal with the challenges of arthritis in there hands or maybe nerve damage, vision, etc.

I have lupus, sjogren's, fibromyalgia, etc. which all contribute to having visions problems, muscle pain, back pain, no energy, currently possibly carpal tunnel in my hand, and even memory issues. lol.....I won't bore you with too much.

I thought it would be a welcomed thread to start with different ideas to share with each other that is helpful to quilters who have these issues, but love their craft.

I will start it off with a few things I do, but most of you probably already do them.

- I print out the instructions for my patterns I find free online in a size text that I can see comfortably.
- I keep sticky notes to jot down things I don't want to forget, such as a blog I am interested in, or any mention even on a tv sewing show, I may be watching that gives an address to a site for quilters.
- I have to take lots of breaks when working on a project. If I don't I can be bedridden for a couple of days.
- I try to buy scissors or other tools that are good, but the lightest I can find, because of less stress on my hands.
- I am working on making my area for sewing to be arranged so that I don't have to reach (as in long stretches) for something I need.
- I also have a chair that fits my back good, but still take breaks to relieve my back. (a good cushion behind your back can feel good too)
- I need good light for my quilting, but I cannot have the light toward my eyes at all. If I do I will start either going blind, or start seeing things that are not there. lol.....

I will stop for now, and you can see that I don't have any thing great to start off with, and that is why I wanted to start this thread. So let's get started brainstorming!