Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

* Ergonomics ... table height, chair height/shape, positioning of your machines, even the rotary cutter as mentioned already ... and many more items! Find out what is ergonomically the best situation for you. An easy and low cost way to change your table height is to get some bed risers. I got my 2nd set of 4 for $4. The first set were $13. And now I take a set with me when I go to sewing classes.

* Health Care Providers ... work with your "team", physio therapist, occcupational therapists, chiropractor, doctors, etc. Be sure they know you want to sew (or perhaps I should say, MUST sew, for your sanity!!!! ). Have them give you suggestions as to how to keep you doing what you love. This might be exercises you can do before you start sewing or every so many minutes etc. Perhaps they could advise re equipment/tools that can make it all a little easier for you.

* Underfoot ... when standing for ironing, don't stand on a bare floor, get one of the squishy mats to make it easier on your body! In Canada, Canadian Tire has some great ones in the industrial/automotive section. At the least carpeting with a good underlay pad.

* Lighting ... I can so relate to the lighting issues! For me, all my lightbulbs (thoughout my home) are daylight bulbs, so I get a good clear light. And LOTS of lights! Easier to turn off if too bright. You can't turn on what doesn't exist!

* Magnets on Sticks and Pick Up Poles ... so you can reach for what you want, without bending down etc.

* Toys ... look for all the sewing toys that could be of use to you. And too, consider other things that aren't meant for sewing that would work (see link below).

* White Board ... or blackboard or cork board ... ready to keep your notes!

* Trades/Swaps ... already mentioned. I know another lady who trades binding for cutting. Works perfectly for the two of them!

* Ask!!!! ... don't be afraid to ask for help from others. Many people are more than happy to help, if they'd only be asked and told what to do!! Keep a running list of things people can help you with, ready for the opportunity!

* MORE? ... I know I'll think of more and post them as the bolt of lightening strikes!

* http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t152963.html -- While not dedicated to aids and solutions to physical challenges, I know there are a lot of ideas that have been shared in this thread that could help solve some of the challenges some face.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-26-2012 at 07:15 PM.