Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
kimv44

Default Has anyone ever added Crochet onto a quilt.. sounds crazy I know...

Well.. my mother was a big into knitting and crochet. She passed away about 30 years ago and had a hope chest full of projects that were 'in process'. One of which was a bed spread that she was making for my brother and his (at the time) new wife. The only problem was that it was in pieces still when she died. She was creating it out of crochet thread and hadn't yet completed enough doilies to make a queen sized project. For some reason I was the one who kept the big box of her belongings and these doilies were inside. My mother was always very fond of my brother's wife, so I decided that perhaps I'd be able to complete the project for her. Well, I am about as terrible a crochet(er) as there is but I can sew, so I put the doilies together and unfortunately there are not enough to cover a queen sized mattress. The dimensions that I have been able to put together evenly are 66" wide X 76" wide.

So, I stretched what I had assembled onto my quilt frame and stood there staring at it thinking about what to do. And I started, of course, to think that perhaps I can attach this to fabric and create something of a fabric panel which I can then piece the rest of the queen size quilt. Given the pattern of the crochet I am thinking perhaps a 6 sided star throughout the boarder... but... not sure if attaching this to fabric would be feasible and if so I'm wondering if anyone here has ever attempted something like this before?

I'm looking for any advise you can toss out at me... I've attached a photo of what I'm proposing to work with here.
Attached Thumbnails dsc05714-copy.jpg