Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I also have Lupus along with Psoriatic Arthritis....I know how frustrating it is when you really want to quilt, but your body is not co-operating.

To keep continuity/sanity (idle hands and all that I have a few things on the go at the same time....If handwork is out of the question...I work on designs, cut templates or sort fabric. I am trying to use my machine as much as possible, remembering to hop up every so often and do another task. I use a tall step stool to sit on when I iron and again, break the task into chunks rather than do "marathons". Spring loaded snips are a treasure and where would we be without wheat bags and sheepskin slippers. As long as I can do a quilt related activity for at least one hour a day I am a happy bunny.

Project boxes are useful....the pattern, notes, fabrics, thread, everything you need for that quilt all in a big decorative box (I get mine from Red Dot (a dollar store)). That way you are not rummaging around trying to find stuff, you can take it to the bedroom or sofa (wherever you can work comfortably) and if visitors call, or when you are done for the day everything can pile into the box without too much trouble and mess is kept to the minimum.

I label everything and keep most the most used items in the more accessible areas of my workspace. I have also found fingerless gloves (my kids call them hobo gloves) to be very handy...they keep most of your hand/wrist warm yet allow you to use the fingertips without impediment. I have quite a few pairs as they can get a bit grotty if you wear them a lot.
I too have Psoriatic Arthritis and nerve damage that effects my hands from a car accident 25 years ago. I have achy shoulders, knees and elbows. My hands go numb pretty quickly. I also have Psoriasis on the palms of my hands. Just the constant touching of the fabrics on my palms makes my hands itch to no end! Any one with Psoriasis knows that the more you itch, the worse your Psoriasis is. I wear fingerless craft gloves (purchased in craft dept at Walmart - They are neon green). If I am having trouble with numbness, I wear the compression gloves. I have a squishy mat in front of my ironing board and another one in front of my cutting table. I make sure my chair is at a good height when I am sewing. I stretch often. I tend to hunch over when I am sewing and that really affects the damaged nerve in my neck and shoulders. I find it very difficult to do any kind of hand work so I don't sweat it that I have to sew my bindings on by machine. Not that any of the quilts are going into a show to be judged! I have home exercises that the chiropractor gave me for the nerve issues. If I do them faithfully, I don't have much issue. I can tell when I have slacked off.