View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
So I think I have found actual permanent markers. I wanted to make gorgeous fabric instead...but no....lol

So below are my experiments. Ignore the lovely underneath yellow wash, it was a paint experiment. SO with my chinese cheapie markers I tried the rubbing alcohol, then I upgraded to the local brew 'pisco'. The local equivalent of vodka only it is 40% alcohol. (so plenty % to make anything run if it was going to)

Yes, I imbibed the little leftover bit after it didn't work.

The local markers that are washable of course ran out so much it isn't worth the effort. So I am back to paints. sigh. OTOH I have some fantastic markers that hardly run no matter what and they will come in very handy for projects. Maybe I should go into business selling them as a fabulous new art Q product....

Now the question is, can I somehow use some of this hideous experiment in the current challenge?
I went back to Linny's post (#95) to look at her sunset and remembered she had done the boat seperately and cut it out and used it as an applique. That is what I am going to do with 'Thomas the Cat'. I want to lay him in grass with a sky background but don't want the colors to run into Thomas.

A couple things I tried with the alcohol (70% rubbing alchohol) is to
1.spray the fabric first and draw with pens
2.draw first and spray a little
3. draw, spray a lot and then, pick the fabric up on one end so where I want the ink to spread is hanging down.

Another idea I had was to draw with pen, spray, and then after drying and heat setting, I might draw with fine line pens and/or thread paint more defining details in.

Also, bringing in my Derwent Inktense pencils might add some interest.
Can't wait to play. Oh rats, I have some deadlines to meet first!

Welcome Mamajack! (Sure wish they had a waving hand icon) Waving wildly from way up north of you in Washington State.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 06-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.