View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Bill'sBonBon

I finished a keepsake quilt for a dear friend this past Sunday and mailed it to FL. Monday Daughter got it today Friend BD is tomorrow, using her husbands shirts and pants... I ask for no tees or shirts of that kind of material.. Didn't think about telling her no poly LOL!! So I got hiawaii shirts all poly several cotton and a pair of yellow poly pants that was a family joke.. I made a 54" by 64" Quilt. Enough left to make another same size for my friends daughter. I used the yellow pants in the middle square then the other shirts to make the 9 patch.. each square was 9 1/2" Each sash was 2 1/2" with a 2 1/2" connecting block going across.. I am going to start on the 2nd one for her daughter this week.. My friend is in a nursing home in Okeechobee,FL. I have a pict will post it but cant on this laptop as it dont like my printer,laptop being windows 7 printer windows 98..have to wait until I get on the other comptor in a couple hrs. I used his stripped shirts for the sashes and his pants fo the binding. Didn't fold under binding as in my opinion it would have been to bulky.. so I cut 2 1/2 inch strips spliced them together using one leg each side..2 pairs of dresspants and one was poly cords. The Cords I used going across at top for the reason they went over the other bindings as the cap and foot.I sewed binding with a straight stitch then zigzaged oveer the straight stitch. Didn't like the raw look aft. I washed it as it didn't fray much except for the cords..so I used pinking sheers and cut close to stitching turned out great. Actually I had more material than I thought when it was all ripped out.. Hoped I helped alittle it is a daunting job to do this for someone this is my 2nd person I made 4 small ones for another friend and all she had were Tees.. HARD!!! Good Luck.. BillsBonBon