Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Chris and Joe, almost every vintage machine I have had more than one color thread wound on its bobbin. I just remove all the old thread and start with new thread! I think the reason people use to wind multiple colors is just to be frugal. When a spool was almost out of thread, they'd wind it on the bobbin so nothing was wasted. People couldn't afford to waste anything especially during the Depression! I agree with everyone else here - it is probably not a good practice - but if you are using up the thread I really doubt it 'hurts' anything. The machine doesn't know or care how many colors are on its bobbins as long as the bobbin is not over full - which applies even with one color! I think most people here are against the practice because as Joe said, we unwind those multiple layers - they are stuck together and rusted - not fun!

Nancy
My one BIG problem with multiple layers of thread on a bobbin is there's never enough to finish what you are doing. You just get started and run out. I did that three times with what was on the bobbin of the MW just to see how much was there. Not enough of anything until the last layer which was packed in rock hard and rusted.

Frugal is one thing, but winding over other thread is a wasted effort. More trouble than it's worth.

JMHO

Joe