View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
KylersNanaB

Angry Encoder Problems???

Hi!

I am very new to this board and am happy I found it. I got my Janome 18 on June 5th, 2012. After having to wait for the Grace Pinnacle table brackets for this machine I finally got up and going on June 11th. Well, first off it did not like me using the Bottom Line Thread I had used on my other midarm machine.

Got that problem solved by getting King Tut. Played on a practice quilt. Meanders/ stipple works great. Tried loops and some straight line work, all of this in the CRUISE mode. Then I tried the SPEED mode and it was fast but I did some more really good stipples.

Ok - got really brave and loaded up a california size king quilt. It has 8 inch borders so I stippled all across the top. Looked great. Then I decided to move the handels to the back of the machine and try CHANTILY LACE Panto. As I was walking behind the machine I noticed that the wires from the encoders kept getting caught under the carriage. I moved them so they wouldn't get "run over". So I did like I saw at the Sewing center and just looped them up - they still had plenty of slack - but not dragging on the table. Went to do the second pass of the Panto and when I got to the end - It was only half way there. I had HUGE skips.

I then took the machine to the side of the quilt where I have extra batting and lining and just tried moving the machine side to side. Works great. Tried the front to back movement and dissaster. I tried it in both the CRUISE and SPEED modes and it is bad.

I then checked to make sure that the encoder is actually moving on th track. It is. So I then un-looped the "Y" cable and let them drag and it is better, but still bad. I then called the shop in a pannic and they called me back after 4 hours to say I might need a new "Y" cable.

I also had to pick out the entire row of the PANTO and I am not happy.

SO -- How many others have had problems? What do you do with your dragging wires? Also does it matter if the encoders are on the left or right side of the carriage?

Not a very happy camper and I live over 300 miles away from the Sewing center where I purchased this machine so a trip there is not possible and they will not send me a technician.

Sad and sore fingered!

Bonnie