Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
chris_quilts

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My one BIG problem with multiple layers of thread on a bobbin is there's never enough to finish what you are doing. You just get started and run out. I did that three times with what was on the bobbin of the MW just to see how much was there. Not enough of anything until the last layer which was packed in rock hard and rusted.

Frugal is one thing, but winding over other thread is a wasted effort. More trouble than it's worth.
JMHO Joe
Joe and all the others who replied, I do not use the old thread wound onto bobbins. I take that off immediately when I buy a machine. I am talking about thread I wound on the bobbin and will use up either for quilting or for piecing but it doesn't sit for years and years on my bobbins. When I am piecing, I have been seen using the odd colored thread on my bobbins (Come and get me now, quilt police!) so I can have clean bobbins again and start anew.
I do know what y'all mean by thread build up to rust because from one class 15 bobbin, I unwound 5 different colors of thread from that bobbin.
I do plan on ordering more bobbins from sew_classic when I return from vacation but for right now, I am working with what I have.
Once again, thanks for everybody's input on this issue. Chris