Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
IBQLTN

I've had a bone removed at the base of my thumb and the thumb fused 'in the most commonly used position'. Apparently, using a needle isn't 'common'. I have to pick the needle up with my other hand and 'place' it in my dominate hand to sew. Can't pick up a coin off the floor either. But it was a good trade-off for reducing pain. My fingers are becoming so crooked it's difficult to type as fast as I used to and often-times by the time I get home from work, I've got nothing left. Those are the days I quilt vicariously through each of you and your sharing of projects!

I have programmed into my outlook calendar at work to get up and walk around every hour during the day so I don't 'freeze up' from sitting too long. I use the 'door stoppers' to tilt the machine. As the arthritis and fibro have gotten worse over the years I found I have had to 'downsize' the size rotary cutter I use as well as the width of the ruler I use. I cannot get enough 'leverage' with my 8.5" ruler anymore to hold it in place. I cut fewer layers at a time.

I keep the ironing board across the room from the machine so that I HAVE to get up and so I don't forget to change positions. I used to always cut at counter height. Now I find it is easier to cut without the ruler slipping if I'm at table top height but this requires more 'back' breaks to keep the strain off my back.

I once had a terrible pain in my foot which eventually required an ankle reconstruction. I worked in retail at the time and at the end of the day I could barely walk. It was Christmastime and I was shopping in a large grocery store with DH and the pain was so bad I told DH I had to go to the car and left him shopping. On the way to the front I saw something I needed that wasn't on our list so I went to the 10 item or less cashier. The friendly, smiling cashier had a twisted wrist and a leg that wouldn't straighten. I passed a man on crutches and on the way out I passed a man with no legs. I told God the 2 x4 worked and that I was grateful to HAVE a foot to walk on!

My point is, we do what we have to do to accomplish the things we love. That's how we keep going. Keep the tips and techniques coming ... you never know what might be THE answer someone needs to try!

Blessings to all.