Thread: Bernina Prices?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Sew happy

It sounds like you bought a nice machine at a good price. I have to agree with a previous poster who impressed that stitch formation was a very important issue. I've been sewing for 50 years and own Pfaffs, Pfaff industrial machine, Singer's, Brother, Necchi made in Italy,Viking computer,White, sergers, and have owned many other brands because I enjoy collecting and restoring vintage machines. I'm retired and have sold all but a few.

I personally think Bernina is overrated and overpriced. Sorry to offend the Bernina owners. I owned a Bernina, I believe it was an 830. Yes, the stitches were nice, machine runs smooth, but for the price, you are paying for the Bernina name.

I have a Brother computerized machine that my husband bought me as a birthday gift. I highly recommend Brother machines. They make so many different models, so if you decided to buy one, you should determine which machine suits you best for the type of sewing you mostly do. Mine has the larger
LCD screen and the capability of sewing without a foot pedal...just push the button to sew. The cost was slightly over $200. Buy any machine where you can refund if you are not happy with it, and if returning it, do so within two weeks with your receipt.

Most important factor of any machine is keeping it lint free, oiling if needed, change your needles and learn to adjust thread tension correctly. The more that you know your machine and care for it, the more satisfied you will be with your sewing results.