View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 AM
RugosaB

I don't really dream about sewing rooms anymore, because I like to keep my dreams realistic, and a couple of years ago I got the perfect room for me.

My husband did all the work, but since we added on, we just didn't use the old dining room for dining. It's 11' x 15', the long wall has an archway to 'his' room, the old living room. I have my machine and ironing center so that when I use them, I'm facing the tv. One 11' wall is covered with cupboards, all the way to the ceiling, plus there are other parts of other walls with cupboards/counters. One of the counters is desk height, and has a cable hookup if a computer is ever needed there. The floors are tile, the walls are dark blue. It has a door to close it off from the rest of the house, but the color hints at the formal room it used to be
Oh, right between my sewing room, and HIS room, there is an elliptical LOL I do use it.

For cupboards, we went to Lowe's and bought their oak unfinished kitchen cabinets. We even purchased a couple of drawer units, and he chopped off the toe kick, so I had drawers and after he built a platform for my foot pedal, the height is perfect for me too. We could have just used wall cabinets, but I really like having the drawers.

When the table's leaf is up, which it almost always is, it measures 67" x 49". He cut a hole, and built a shelf below the desktop. so the machine is dropped in and there's a level surface
The swinging door sits between the sewing room and the kitchen. Our house was built in 1918, and the swing door is original, I wanted to keep it.

Many years ago, this was the kids toy room. When we were doing the remodeling, we found some little kid dawings and notes, that are now tucked away in the waaay upper cabinets, with a note from me as to what they are. 'Treasures' for whoever finds them when I am gone!