View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM
judys

Hubby and I and my sister and her husband went to Alaska in 2009. We flew to Anchorage, rented a car and spent 13 days driving and sightseeing and staying at B&Bs for the most part. It was wonderful. We made a big circle up to the Denali "highway" and west to the Richardson highway, Seward, Valdez, ferry to Whittier, 3 nights in Homer, Girdwood and back to Anchorage. Stopped at many, many places in between these highlights. Saw moose, black bear, grizzly bear, sea lions, whales, caribou, salmon run and so many other things it still makes my head spin. Had a new camera and telephoto lens and took over 1700 photos. I did the driving so that when I wanted to stop and take a picture I could stop without talking someone into stopping. Did manage to find a few quilt shops but can't remember right now just where they were. I do remember that the Ben Franklin/hardware store/everything shop in Homer had a wonderful selection of all types of fabric. We went in mid August had a ball! The weather was good and the blue in the glaciers is amazing. Brother-in-law was sure I had a photo of every glacier in Alaska. We even saw Mt McKinley/Denali which is usually covered in clouds. We stopped on a bridge to get a photo, the clouds parted until I got several good pics and then the clouds closed in again. Loved that trip!