Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
KathyKat

Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
Wonderful job on the new sewing table!! Have a question. I have wanted forever to get my machine level with top of my sewing surface. Looks like there's a drawer under machine? Was the counter top just laid on top of desk & space sawed out for machine? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!
It's not a desk. I bought 2 unfinished base cabinets with drawers and stained/sealed them. The countertop was one the lumber shop cut the wrong length for someone and I got it for nothing. My son made a box slightly larger than the hole and of course the right depth for the machine to be recessed. Then he made a "frame" out of 1x2's (they were painted white and were leftover scraps in my garage). He screwed the box to the frame and then glued and screwed the whole thing to the underside of the countertop. He cut out a hole on the right side to accomadate my cords and the on/off switch. I'm attaching a photo of the right corner of it so you can see the construction of it. Wow, that closeup shows some sawdust that never got cleaned off...guess I better take care of that.
Hope this helps you!
Attached Thumbnails rsz_1dsc01213.jpg