Thread: Orphan Blocks
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
sparkys_mom

Default Orphan Blocks

I suppose this is one of those "problems" that long time quilters always have. Since I'm only about 3 1/2 years into quilting it hasn't been a problem for me until now. A friend of a friend has been a quilter for 30+ years and my friend told her about me and that I make almost exclusively charity quilts. Well, this week I inherited about 25 pounds of scraps. I use the term loosely. I started about a year ago cutting all my leftovers into strips or squares so there is very little left over. This woman quilts almost exclusively with batiks and her "scraps" consist of an unbelievable number of blocks. I've been sorting through them all week. It is actually pretty intimidating! I'm uploading a few pictures - mind you, this is a fraction of what I've received! The basket of scraps is really scraps - I've sorted by color - but those little stacks are about 4 inches high. The friendship star block - there are about 20 of those mixed with churndash blocks - same size and color values. There are also hundreds of cut shapes - squares, triangles, strips - I haven't tackled those yet. The Christmas block - there are 8 of those that I've found so far. I've no idea how to put them together. I will definitely be adding to the post later, but I couldn't resist showing some of this stuff right now. With the exception of the Christmas blocks these are almost entirely batiks.
Attached Thumbnails p1000485.jpg   p1000486.jpg   p1000487.jpg   p1000488.jpg   p1000489.jpg  

p1000490.jpg  

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 06-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.