Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
irishrose

Well, the $20 didn't stay in my possession long. At sale #1, I passed up a beautiful portable (I use that term loosely) Dressmaker with all cams and the instruction book. This one was cream with a turquoise faceplate, but for $50 it stayed there. My Universal fills that niche well. I passed on a plain Singer 66 from the late 20s in a normal looking cabinet - not a treadle. Just plain with straight legs - is it a #40? for a whopping $25. I did like the way both sides of the cabinet folded out. Machine looked good, just needs a bath. The handwheel turned okay. On the ground was a pretty White Rotary in a burled oak case - one the first portables White made. Again, I use that term loosely. I'm not sure how I'm going to get in the house. I didn't inspect it closely - just gave the seller the $20 and let her husband put in my car. It's been in a basement and the hinges are a little rusty, but overall it doesn't seem too bad. 1890s patent dates are engraved on the needleplate. The electrics look very old and scary. It was Aunt Genevieve's and she was a dressmaker by trade. that's all I know. Two machines in a week. This is not good. The bobbins are big and flat, I think. I did check to see if the bobbin case was there, but forgot to worry about needle size. It had a box of attachments with it, but at the last minute the seller wondered if they belonged with this machine. I'm not a good fibber so I had to tell her they were short shank and the White needs back clamping.