View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
MacThayer

My sister asked me to make the exact same quilt, only with less red and more earth tones. I tried to talk her out of it because it would be so boring to make. She was adamant, as only my sister could be. So I gave her what she wanted. Put all the fabric out together, in a basic pattern I planned, photographed it, and sent it to her for final approval of colors. She nixed one color, loved the rest, and sent me a photo of what she'd like as a replacement. It was pretty plain, and not hard to find. Those big, 12" squares weren't hard to cut, or sew. I quilted in 4 sections, then put to together, which made it easier. I made the edging all around 6" X 12" squares, just to break up to monotony for me. I played forever with the placement of the colors, because to me it was the only interesting thing to do. I quilted one square in rows, and the next in cross hatch, alternating, so the same type of quilting was never next to each other. The simpler quilting seemed to go with the simpler pattern. And guess what. She loves it! More than that, she adores it, and I've never done anything nicer for her in her whole life! To say she's thrilled to bits would be a gross understatement. So I learned something here, something very important. Instead of trying to push my tastes on what I think is a beautiful quilt on her, I listened to her and gave her what she wanted. And she loves it. I'll bet if I'd given her the quilt I wanted to make, it'd be sitting on a shelf somewhere, unused, and it would have taken me far more time and energy. I guess my best friend is right. I have a - ahem - "agressive" personality that can roll over other people if I'm not careful. I shall endeavor to be more careful. One quilt has vastly improved my relationship with my sister, and I'd like that kind of thing to keep happening!