Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 PM
PJisChaos

I collect all the old patterns I can find, I just love to look thru them and feel that "connection". I use my rotary cutter, wouldn't give that invention up either, and machine piece as well. I was just curious, especially after finding a simplified and faster Burgoyne Surrounded block on the net, if any one used the older instructions with newer inventions. I personally, love to simplify anything I can but still get a greater sense of connection using the older specs for the same patterns. The piecing of individual squares, and rectangles instead of strip piecing everything, that kind of stuff. I have been working an EPP hexagon quilt for my middle son for over a year now and am really enjoying the process... however, I couldn't imagine doing all my quilts this way! My grandma still does everything with scissors and by hand so only finishes one quilt a year, and I am always so impressed by this. I guess I was inspired to ask after reading some diaries of pioneer women on the Oregon Trail in the mid-1800s, and how some of them talk about their sewing progress. Thanks for everyone's input, it is interesting to see all the different P-O-Vs. I believe any quilt is a "Real quilt", if made with love, no matter how it was constructed or quilted.