View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
I've done a little with my Viking embroidery unit in combination with a little FMQ, but really had it in my head that I wanted to learn FMQ so have kept at it, and things do get better with practice - and patience. I really love doing FMQ now, but naturally the throat of a domestic is pretty limiting So I just bought an affordable Sunshine 16 - WOW! It's great to work with and I believe it would be much easier to learn FMQ due to the space and how easily the quilt sandwich slides! The blue painters tape tip sounds like it would be worth trying so I may attempt that too - ALSO following along with Leah Day and a Craftsy Class - Sew many options!
You can also do what they call "floating" your quilt on your hoop where you put the stablizer on the hoop and spray it with 505 or one like it and the place your quilt on top of the hoop. This method is also done with some fabrics that don't lend well to being hooped. Check emblibrary.com under kenny's corner or projects and he has things on this. Hatched in Aftrica and emblibrary.com and sewswell.com, plus many others have great quilting designs for many different sizes hoops. Viking even has two quilters hoops, so yes quilting your quilts with the embroidery machine can be done. Good l uck to you all. Leah Day's site is great. I'm just learning FMQ as well on my Viking Ruby.