Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 AM
kathyjg

Default I guess I can be a quilter, after all.....

A couple of months ago I wrote in and told you all the story of starting my first quilt which began with my cutting my finger the moment I took my cutter out of the package. At the time, I doubted on whether or not I was made out to be a quilter....thanks to all of your encouragement and all of the great advise I see on the Board every day, I just want to thank all of you because I did not give up and am on my 4th quilt. I have made two baby rag quilt, 1 with no batting and one done biscuit style with batting in it. I made a full size rag quilt with some piecing in it for my g-son for graduation. These I have not posted pic of since I really am not that savvy on how to do it, am going to get the kids ( al in their 30's) LOL to teach me. I hit a really deal a few weeks ago, at an estate sale, and am really excited to be now starting one for my sister as a wedding present made from vintage fabrics cut in 2 1/2" squares that I sewing into 4 patches. I am hoping to post this one!!

The estate sale was a great find--had 4 6ft. shelving units packed with material, from that I got 8 different pieces, all different patriotic, and enough for a fairly large quilt for under $10. My best find, tho, was a basket of ziplocks, marked remnants AND 50 cents a bag. Some were scraps, but then I found all of the precuts of vintage material; just the thing my sister likes! All of the bags were stuffed to the hilt--Bought: 6 bags of 2 1/2" sq., 4 of charms, 2 of 7" sq., and 3 of 2 1/2" strips.

I am beginning to feel like a quilter, I drag my daughters along with me when I go to estate sales and thrift store--both are now calling me a fabric hoarder and threatening an intervention. My 7 yr old G-son asked for a quilt for his teacher who had just had a baby,, he helped to design it and pick out material from my stash..when we went shopping he picked out ALL different material.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement when I was ready to give up and to the advise you give all of the other newbies as well as myself. You are all terrific!! Kathy