Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM
auntpiggylpn

Default Hand embroidery on a quilt. . . Need some guidance please!!!

Okay, here's the story: About 3 weeks ago, we were in Michigan visiting my other half's family. The aunt, who I thought didn't like me, told me that she had a quilt that her mother had made just prior to her death 2 years ago but it wasn't finished. She asked if I could take a look at it and maybe finish it for her. Trying to gain popularity points, I said "Sure!" Well, she brings out a Queen or King sized Double Wedding Ring that is all hand pieced. Her mother hand basted the top, batting and backing together and also has the binding attached to the front. I told the aunt that I would be more than happy to finish it for her. There are 7 siblings and there were 7 quilts. The other 6 siblings all sent theirs out to be long armed at the cost of over $300 each. Now, money isn't an issue with this aunt; she wouldn't have a problem paying for a longarmer to do it. In fact, she is willing to pay me to do it; I told her would would talk about it later! I feel very honored that she has asked me to do this and I have decided to hand quilt this DWR. I just think it deserves handquilting. I have been practicing on samples and I feel I am ready to go. I got a Q snap floor frame, Gutterman hand quilting thread and some thread conditioner. After looking at the quilt, and again trying to gain popularity points, I decided that I would also hand embroider the mother & father's name and wedding date in the center and then put the siblings names and birthdates in other blocks. I've also practiced my hand embroidery and I am ready to go.

Now here is my question: When I am embroidering the names and dates onto the top, do I just go far enough into the quilt to catch the batting or do I go all the way through and out the back? I know with the hand quilting it shows on the back but I don't know about hand embroidery.

I could really use some advice/direction . . . I am chomping at the bit to get started!