Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 AM
DonnaC

Default Let's See if the QB Ladies Can Handle This One - Odor in a New Bedspread??

I just bought a new throw-type summer bedspread. It came in one of those zippered plastic bags all folded up.

After being unwrapped from the package, I found that it has a horrific odor. It appears that it was the corrugated cardboard that the bedspread was wrapped around that the odor came from ... it must have seeped into the bedspread somehow. (I figured that out because I bought a matching pillow sham, and that doesn't have any odor, so I knew it wasn't the fabric. By the way, the fabric is 80% poly/20% cotton.)

So far I have washed and dried the bedspread twice with lots of nice, fragrant detergent and fabric softener, and it STILL SMELLS! It's pretty bad.

Okay ladies, what should I do - chalk it up to experience, pack up the bedspread and return it to the store, or do you have any other ideas for getting rid of this horrid odor? One thing that I cannot do is hang it outside - I live in a condo and clotheslines are not allowed. So that idea is forbidden, but anything else I'm willing to try, because I love the bedspread!