View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
lynnegreen

My mom taught me to sew. When I was about 10 she got a new machine and I was able to use her Singer (still have it out in the garage somewhere - need to bring it in the house!). She had made all of our school clothes. Two years later during the summer before entering junior high school she told me I would be making all my own clothes from there on, which I did, well out of high school (including one year making the cheerleader outfits, boy that was quite a project). During summers I would spend time with a cousin who was a phenominal seamstress, today she is an award winning art clothing designer and teacher, and we would make clothes. I still remember making a denim skirt and how she took the pattern and made adjustments to make the skirt look and fit better.
During raising kids and working full time I stopped sewing almost completely. My mom found a local quilt class around 1978 which we took just to do an activity together, and we have been quilting ever since! I thank her for my love of sewing AND finding that quilt class!