View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
LauraRG

I don't remember being taught to sew... I remember watching my mother cut patterns, pin the pieces together and sew. Somewhere along the line I got a child's machine and I was hooked. I sewed clothes for baby dolls and barbies, doll blankets and I remember trying to sew a simple skirt for myself. My father taught me home dec sewing... he could do amazing pleated drapes!! My mother taught me embroidery using those pre-printed blue-inked table linens and pillow cases. My Grandma taught me crochet. My mother tried to teach me to knit, but I never could manage it!! My one semester of sewing in Home Ec taught me the technical names of the things I already knew and that has been useful. I sewed most of my clothing in middle school and HS, sewed my wedding dress and the dresses my sisters wore as my bridesmaids, formal wear, my maternity clothes and just about every stitch of clothing my children wore until they were each 6 or 7 years old. I made my first quilt when I was in college... an anniversary gift for my parents. Their instruction and encouragement were wonderful gifts to me.

I have loved reading all these stories... so similar and so individual. We all took a different roads, but we all ended up here!