Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
sew wishful

I am nearly 20 pages behind here, but have to sneak in a comment. We had a family reunion this weekend and as we set the camper in place my DH cousin came over to me and asked if I wanted another machine. I said, well, if it's an interesting one, I could be talked into one. It belonged to his great grandmother (would also be my DH's great gramma, too) and he decided to restore it, so after many years in the barn and then the machine shed, he got it out to work on it. Sand blasted the irons and hung the foot pedal to dry and it caught the wind and fell to the concrete and shattered! He was sick and so am I now. (The largest piece looks like a star pattern). It's a Domestic coffin top, has the shuttle and all the paper work. He made a copy of the manual because of it's fragility and the warranty dates, 1881 to their great gramma!! The cousin said it was so very rusty so he had it all sanded down and primed to keep it from rusting, but of course even the silver parts are primed. The presser foot handle is on the left side of the "nose", on the faceplate. It's so interesting and I'll have it repainted black and will hunt for a Domestic logo to place on it. Everything turns, has a metal pitman, of course, I need to find a foot pedal/plate for the treadle and a belt.