View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
grandmasieg

My grandmother was a seamstress and had a shop in downtown Pittsburgh at the old Jenkins Arcade. She made clothing and furs and specialized in corsettes (yes she did) and girdles! I would spend weekends with her and she would give me scraps of material to make dresses for my Barbie dolls. One of my first memories was helping her make me a dress when I was about three or four. My mother didn't sew at all. I've been sewing since. When my grandmother passed away when I was 12, I kept her Singer Featherweight and 99K which I still have. For highschool graduation my parents bought me a "new" Singer in a cabinet, which I also still have. I made clothes for myself, for my daughter (baby up through and including proms and wedding dresses). I got into quilting only recently (within the past ten years) and mainly make quilts for family and NNICUs. I make purses and love to embroider on just about anything.

My grandmother was a single mom and supported herself and my father with her sewing skills. I think of her every time I sit down at any of my sewing machines, but especially my grandma's featherweight and 99K. She was such a lovely lady. I'm sure she's very happy that I continued sewing.

Hugs!
Debbie