View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
xxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
As i work with a Women's group that provides treadles for women in rural Kenya, I can speak to this with authority. for 150.00 we buy new treadles in Africa for the village. Nothing as solid as the original Singers etc but they still provide a means for women to support their families making things to sell.
We are a small non-denominational group ( Women of Purpose International) that has outreaches in Kenya, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia and Ghana. Education in Sierra Leone, small business set ups in the other countries. Prayer for all. The group in Sierra Leone makes the most amazing Batiks.

Thank you for this. Just my point, some groups say they buy these old one, RESTORE them, and ship..... BS.

buying new and in country is a bit more realistic..

In homesteading forum's people have bought these wal mart machines, There report is with in two years there cabinets are falling a part, because of the type of consturtion,, they can't stand up to the vibration, Then end up looking for an old one, I don't hear much about the machine heads

I buy used clothes ( goodwill ) In shirts I look for those made in these small country, often the stitching and fabric is better than those made in the usa. This is in the heavy men's shirts...