View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Oh I love this thread. So fun reading everyone's stories. My Mother taught me to sew as well, and also to crochet and knit. I honestly cannot remember the first time I used the sewing machine because it was so long ago...I mean, I literally started sewing as soon as I was tall enough that my foot could reach the peddle. I was always watching my Mom sew. Even when she didn't have a sewing room she'd set up at the kitchen table and I'd watch. So as soon as I could start sewing, my Mom had a pretty good fabric stash and would let me pick out fabric to make clothing. We'd go to Jo Ann's and she'd let me pick out 2-3 patterns when they'd go on sale for 99 cents. I remember making pants from this peacock feather print cotton fabric she had in her stash and I loved them! When I hit around 16 I started making those short skirts that Mom wouldn't let me buy. Lol* Even when I moved out and was on my own I'd go buy fabric to take to my Mom's and sew curtains and things for the house on Mom's sewing machine. I didn't discover quilting though unti I was about 24.